Most homeowners are shocked when they figure out how much money they have to spend to fix their mold problem. The expenses can start at a couple of hundred dollars and rise to about ten thousand dollars. Long-term mold deteriorates the inside and outside of a home leading to unpredicted costs. The most common type of mold is black mold, which contaminates the air with toxic particles. In this blog, we are going to discuss the various signs of mold and what to do when it is spreading to uncontainable measures.
What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that grows inside and outside in damp and humid environments. They usually appear inside common household areas such as bathrooms, basements, carpets, sinks, fridges, drywall, and more. When a room is not well ventilated, mold can grow, especially in warm and humid places. All molds can produce toxins. Black mold is the most known mold inside buildings which looks like blotchy black spots. Healthy people don’t have to usually worry about black mold making them severely sick. However, vulnerable groups with a compromised immune system, such as older adults and children, can get sick.
As stated before, the most obvious sign of mold is the visible dark spots appearing on walls, ceilings, and other exposed surfaces. Mold spreads to find organic material to feed on and tends to be bunched together. The first signs of mold are a slight discoloration on a surface. It may appear brownish or tan. The early stages of mold are challenging to figure out sometimes because it looks like dirt or dust. Toilets, sinks, HVAC vents, and laundry rooms are the first places where mold begins. It can also grow behind wallpapers. It is crucial to check areas where humidity and moisture are present constantly.
Musty or mildew smells are a quick indicator that mold is infesting the environment. The smell can lead you to spot the contaminated area. However, if you can’t find it, then it does not mean it is not there. Also, if you transfer your clothes to the dryer and start to smell bad after leaving them for a few hours, it is an indicator of numerous spores in the air.
Food spoiling quickly is another signal that mold is present. It does not matter where you bought your food; if it spoils within two days, many mold spores fly into the atmosphere. It is best to check and throw away any foods that have presented mold to taint any other foods.
A few people are more sensitive to mold than people with lung disease, specific mold allergies, and low immune systems. Here are some signs to reveal if a person has mold sensitivity:
- Sore throat
- Labored breathing or asthma
- Rashes or skin irritability
- Red, itchy eyes
Most of these symptoms are common among people, and doctors cannot always know if it is a mold issue. Doctors will assume it is a common cold or the flu. If the symptoms don’t go away for a while, they will consider environmental factors.
Defend your home
The best way to defend your home is to always check for visible signs and smells. Immediately clean the infected area with bleach to remove the mold. Also, keep humid areas dry as possible to reduce the growth of mold. Fixing any leaking pipes or surfaces can help as well. If the mold is overwhelmingly spreading, it is always best to hire a professional.
Mold can be a health risk to people who are sensitive to it. We highly recommend that you check for indicators of mold such as black spots, musty odors, spoiled foods, and health symptoms to prevent any further contamination. However, there are times when mold is so harmful that it causes a home to be uninhabitable. The demolition experts at Morgan Services Group can help you demolish the areas of high exposure. We specialize in residential and commercial demolitions. With over 20 years of experience, we know how to carefully remove structural parts of your home from the silent intruder properly. Visit our website for more information about our services.